Sony Ericsson W960i Review ~ GAMES AND GADGETS

Tech news, gadget reviews and how-tos on just about anything and everything.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sony Ericsson W960i Review

Sony Ericsson W960i Front view
Sony Ericsson's W960i is being dubbed as the Sony Ericsson's "iPhone killer" though it looks nothing like the iPhone, however, I forget that to be an iPhone killer, one doesn't necessarily have to look like an iPhone.

SPECIFICATIONS:

The Sony Ericsson W960i is more featured pack than the iPhone. It has 3G, Wireless LAN, supports Stereo Bluetooth A2DP profile, 8GB of internal memory, video calling features, Symbian OS, and a 3.2 mega pixel camera.

ADVANTAGES:

The Sony Ericsson W960i has a glossy black finish and weighs 119g which feels solid when held but still sleek and cool looking. The 3.2 mega pixel camera has LED flash and auto focus and delivers clear looking pictures though not quite good when compared with Sony Ericsson's Cyber-shot line of phones. If you're a fan of Ericsson's Walkman series, then the Sony Ericsson W960i won't disappoint. It delivers clear music plus with the additions of an RDS FM radio station, you can quickly browse any FM radio station if you get tired of listening to your playlists. Battery life is also quite good and I got around 18 hours of playback before I have to recharge.

back view of Sony Ericsson W960i
DISADVANTAGES:

External speakers on the Sony Ericsson W960i, however, leaves something to be desired as it lacks bass capabilities and music is distorted when volume is turned on too high. The response time on the menu interface is also rather slow but really not an issue. The keypad on the Sony Ericsson W960i is also rather a bit cramped and I found myself pressing two buttons at a time on some occasion, but then again, I have large fingers. I've heard that the phone does not support EDGE but then, who cares about EDGE when you've got 3G. I just wished that they included HSDPA as well.

CONCLUSION:

All in all, the Sony Ericsson W960i is a smart phone that delivers. It may not be an iPhone killer in terms of its looks but when it comes to functionality, it may as well give the iPhone a run for its money.


RELATED POSTS:

Sony Ericsson W890i Walkman Phone
Palm Centro Review
Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review - some of the reviews by people who have actually had the phone are somewhat different though, when tested against teh iphone and N95 the W960i lost :-(

Anonymous said...

Sony Ericsson is trying to hard. The W960i could never beat the iPhone. The design is waay ugly.

Anonymous said...

I still think that this phone rules. It has eveything the iPhone lacks plus I always like Walkman over the iPod. The Walkman is the originator of portable music.

Anonymous said...

I just got this phone and I have to say, the Sony Ericsson W960i rocks! I love the interface and the sound quality of this phone is truly awesome! I would recommend this phone to anyone who's looking for an iPhone alternative or a remarkable music phone.

Anonymous said...

What I like: it's a walkman phone, nice touchscreen, QWERTY keypad.

What I don't like: Could do a little more updating in terms of the design.

Other than that. This phone rocks.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to own this phone but it will probably cost an arm and a leg here. I prefer Motorola's Phones more. I'm waiting for the Moto Z10.